April 2019 meeting

April 2019 meeting

Welcome Forums CAS Forum Meetings and Events April 2019 meeting

This topic contains 6 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Galaxyman 5 months, 3 weeks ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

Galaxyman
    Participant

I would like to propose that our April meeting is our first “Observers Meeting”. I’ve been in “DEEP” thought over the past couple months of where I’m going in both equipment, and where I’m going more often to observe…meaning darker skies. After August I’m free from now on to go to our local sites and to travel to darker locations whenever it’s clear during the dark window. I also want to inspire more to get out and observe. The club needs this IMO.

Here from another post is a suggestion from our Prez.

I LOVE the idea of dedicating two to four monthly meetings exclusively to Karl’s DSO meetings. We can think of them as “Official Observing Roundtables”, where we all discuss the various potential objects of interest in the upcoming season. We can set up a bunch of tables and chairs and everyone bring a phone, tablet, laptop, or pen and paper, and lets start swapping objects of interest and get our observing lists going!!
    We can call it DSOs for DSOs…”Deep Sky Objects” for “Dedicated, Serious, Observers”!!

I will talk more about this at our March meeting this Sunday (St. Karl’s day), and have a couple objects to view for April’s dark window.

Karl

Fred

The April observing targets from last night’s meeting as Karl listed them:

NGC 2903
    PGC 26945, 26951 group, near NGC 2903
    NGC 2832 group in Lynx
    NGC 3115 Sextans
    NGC 3432 aka Arp 206
    Abell 1185 NGC 3550, Group in Uma
    Arp 148. 15.5 mag
    Lost Galaxy NGC 4535 (erratum in prior post stating 4526)

Thanks, Karl, Nicely done. Now, all I need is a new moon, a dark site and clear, dark, steady skies.

• This reply was modified 5 months, 4 weeks ago by  Fred.

Galaxyman
    Participant

Thanks Fred

One more NGC 2916 east of NGC 2903

Skyraider

I am looking forward to the first official DSO ² (DSO Squared) meeting in April!!! I am reviewing observing logs now looking for objects to share. And NO, they will NOT all be fainter than 16.5 mag  😆 …

• This reply was modified 6 months ago by  Skyraider.

Gastronaut
    Keymaster

To All:

Here’s a link to the Lost Galaxy in Virgo

NGC 4535.

Not NGC 4526 which is nearby and also a very nice object!

Gastronaut

• This reply was modified 5 months, 4 weeks ago by  Gastronaut.

Fred

Thanks, I corrected my post. Both of those galaxies will fit nicely in the same FOV in my 18″ with the 17E.

Galaxyman
    Participant

For the April CAS Observers meeting I would like to have members send me via email a list of say 5 or 6 objects they like or recommend for spring and summer seasons. If you have an object or objects you are curious about that you may not have observed before, please send me that info (catalog number), and I’ll add that to the list.

Once I have a list of objects from the members, I’ll put them on a spreadsheet for all to use. Please send me your list by or before April 12th for the meeting is Sunday the 14th.

Clear Dark Skies

Karl
    email – galaxyman2903@gmail.com

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.