Comet NEOWISE is AWESOME

Comet NEOWISE is AWESOME

Welcome Forums CAS Forum General Discussion Comet NEOWISE is AWESOME

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)
  • Author
    Skyraider

Comet Neowise is freaking AWESOME!!! OMG this is the coolest comet I have ever seen!!! Stunning tail, super bright nucleus in binoculars. It is the quintessential view of a comet. I can’t tell if the orange glow is some of the morning twilight affect, or if it is the actual color of the comet. Barley naked eye (knowing where to look) even this deep (4:40am) into twilight . It could be a slam dunk naked eye in less twilight. My hunch is the tail will be naked eye in darker skies!! AMAZING!!!!!

• This topic was modified 2 months, 3 weeks ago by Skyraider.
    marsbase
    Participant

Tried looking this morning, the sky looked like it was clear enough but there was a lot of low fog and dew preventing viewing. Looking forward to seeing this comet!

marsbase
    Participant

Was able to view it this morning! Still a little foggy.

• This reply was modified 2 months, 3 weeks ago by marsbase.
    marsbase
    Participant

Taken with 14″ Meade SCT and cell phone

rob from altair
    Participant

Comet NEOWISE with Venus, Hyades and Pleiades

rob from altair
    Participant

Comet NEOWISE over Burlington, VT

rob from altair
    Participant

Comet NEOWISE over Burlington, VT

Jan Romer
    Participant

Great images!! About time we got a nice one. Now I’ll make myself get out there and see it. ๐Ÿ™‚

Bob Jorgenson
    Participant

Wow, spectacular observation this morning. I was out on the Sea Isle City NJ beach at 3:50am, some very low clouds on the horizon, but otherwise clear skies. I was observing with Nikon Action EX 10×50 6.5 degree binoculars.

My first view of Comet Neowise showed a bright core with obvious tail. The core and tail were a yellowish orange color, with the tail fading to white at its outer length away from the core.

I estimate the comet was about 7.5-8 degrees above the horizon and slightly west of a vertical line below Capella. It was barely visible naked eye (faint point of light) in the early part of my viewing session. At 4:40am the comet and its now more elongated tail were obvious naked eye. The tail was very pronounced and I appreciated this naked eye view immensely. I estimate the tail was about 4 degrees in length. I observed the comet until 5:05 am, when it eventually faded from view due to the brightness of the sunrise.

I am anxious to see the Comet Neowise in a telescope. Hopefully more detail can be discerned with magnification.

I highly recommend getting up early to view the comet.

Jan Romer
    Participant

You’re killing me here. ๐Ÿ˜‰ I got up in time, but some low eastern clouds and river mist obscured everything. Viewing from the comfort of home ain’t gonna work for me, so the search is on for a viewing site…

Bob Jorgenson
    Participant

Last night I observed the comet from across the former Willow Grove Naval Air Base along Rte 611 in the Lancers Diner parking lot. I am posting to illustrate the difference sky darkness matters. I first saw the comet around 9:30pm in my binoculars. It wasn’t naked eye visible yet. My first view in the binoculars was slightly better than naked eye from the NJ beach morning observation. The details of the comet improved slightly over about 30 minutes of viewing.

It is also worth noting how different the observing session was for dark adaptation. The morning session started with dark skies, so my eyes were dark adapted before I started observing. The evening session was quite the opposite, since I started observing shortly after sunset. My eyes never fully dark adapted last night due to excessive light pollution in the immediate area.

Nonetheless,ย  it was good to observe the comet. I also brought my wife and daughter along. They were amazed by the comet. They both could see the comet naked eye with a short tail visible.

A gentleman from DVA was setup with a camera on a tripod and he had binoculars too. I forget his name. It was nice having somebody to chat with about astronomy while waiting for twilight to end.

Astrophilia
    Participant

I too got a stunning view of the comet lastย  night and man what a great view. Nice bright nucleus with long visible trail and only 5 minutes from my house at a baseball field. Looking forward to catching another view tonight!!!!

marsbase
    Participant

Seen it naked eye this morning around 4:00am, looked good!

Took photos in the observatory with 14″ Meade and a cell phone.

Marco C
    Participant

I agree this comet is pretty awesome!ย  I viewed through 10×50 and 12×60 binoculars from a park near Downingtown last night, and I will try with scope later this week if weather allows.

marsbase
    Participant

Supposed to be clear tonight and tomorrow morning.

Marco what park were you at in Downingtown?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.