Friday Night Lights is July 12, 2019 – Telescope Volunteers Needed

Friday Night Lights is July 12, 2019 – Telescope Volunteers Needed

Welcome Forums CAS Forum Meetings and Events Friday Night Lights is July 12, 2019 – Telescope Volunteers Needed

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Marco C 1 week, 3 days ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

Fred

On July 12 the Natural Lands’ 9th Annual Friday Night Lights will take place. There is no rain date. Every year it’s been a sell-out with hundreds of attendees enjoying live music, tasty treats, craft beer and local wines. Natural Lands invites local astronomy clubs to participate and in return for free admission the clubs’ volunteers set up their telescopes for the guests to share views, eat s’mores and other treats. Those of us who were there in the past recall it as a very enjoyable night.

As usual, I’ll be coordinating for all of the clubs. Some have already stepped forward in anticipation of this exciting night. By the end of June I’d like to give the Natural Lands as complete a list as possible of volunteers and their guests, so that name tags can be readied for entry to the grounds and access to the tasty treats, etc. If you want to bring more than one (1) guest then the extra(s) must register on the Natural Lands website. It’s $25 for Natural Lands or WXPN members and $35 for non-members.

The astronomy clubs can bring banners, cards, applications for new members, etc. The Natural Lands will provide a display table for the clubs, if desired.

If anyone can bring their scope, please, email me directly at fredworld@verizon.net. Please, be sure to indicate if a guest is coming and their name. The event falls on a 79% illuminated Moon this year that begins rising about 5PM and sets after 3AM. Jupiter and Saturn will also be viewable after 9PM. After the event ends at 11PM we can stay observing for as late as we like.

Let me know if there are any questions. I hope to see many of us there.
    Thanks so much and clear skies.

Fred

Fred

The line up continues to grow. It’d be nice to see more CASers commit. Recall that CAS has more at stake than any other club with the NL providing the Crow’s Nest 16x a year for general and EC meetings. See my prior post for details about this event.

So far we have:

Igor Peshenko, Bucks-Mont Astronomy Association

Edmund Frick, ChesMont Astronomical Society

Don Knabb and Barbara Knabb, Chester County Astronomical Society
    Karen Moynihan and Andy Moynihan, Chester County Astronomical Society
    Dave Hockenberry, Chester County Astronomical Society
    Ann Miller, Chester County Astronomical Society

Greg Lee, Delaware Astronomical Society
    Jeff Lawrence and Chris Lawrence, Delaware Astronomical Society
    Kathy Koons, Delaware Astronomical Society
    Eifion Phillips and Wenseng Pan, Delaware Astronomical Society
    Bob Trebilcock and Beth Trebilcock, Delaware Astronomical Society
    Diane Metzger, Delaware Astronomical Society

Marco C
    Participant

I’m in. It’s always a fun event.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.