StarFest Keynote Speaker – Bio and abstract

StarFest Keynote Speaker – Bio and abstract

Welcome Forums CAS Forum General Discussion StarFest Keynote Speaker – Bio and abstract

This topic contains 0 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  rob from altair 1 week, 2 days ago.

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author

rob from altair
    Participant

Title: Imaging the Universe using Radio Waves

Abstract: The eye was the first astronomical instrument, and we still rely heavily on information from the visible light part of the electromagnetic spectrum to understand the universe.  In this talk, I’ll discuss how we use radio waves to study the universe and what unique and unexpected information we can learn from radio waves and how we can make pictures of the universe using radio waves.  I will also briefly discuss my own research into the first galaxies using radio emission.

Bio: James Aguirre is an Associate Professor at the University of Pennsylvania, where he has been since 2008.  He did his undergraduate work at Georgia Tech, earned his PhD at the University of Chicago, and was a postdoctoral fellow at the University of Colorado, Boulder, before coming to Penn.  His research is  on the formation and evolution of galaxies, primarily using instruments in the radio and far-infrared parts of the electromagnetic spectrum he helps design and build.

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.